Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Jada's Update


The pics are not the greatest quality here but I wanted to share Jada's progress. her hair is growing quickly and some fo her lcoks have cury Q's at the ends. She seems like she can be due for a retightening but I really want to wait another 4 weeks, I just can't stand looking at her new growth (WTF? I know) More importantly, I wanted to reach out for support regarding what Jada has asked me regarding her braidlocks.......(Sigh) As a mother I have no reason to believe Jada does not like her hair. she since my SL's were put in she wanted some of her own. Even though I can cornbraid hair. I've always had a difficult time keeping Jada's hair looking nice prior to her getting braidlocks. So any way one day about two weeks or so ago she came to me and asked me if she can take her hair down in about a month. Because my mother always used that phrase "children are to be seen not heard" I try to always encourage my girls to use their voice however, I do not want to force my styling preference on my daughter because what if she grows up to hate me?? In any event, I told her no. I waited for like 5 minutes before engaging in the conversation about her hair. So the long and short of it is that she told the kids at school she was groing dreadlocks and they started saying stuff like "white girls can't get dreads!" WTF is that all about??? Jada point blank told me that she loves her hair but if she could just get a perm then her hair could grow down her back like one little girl in her class (who has a perm???). I reassured Jada that if I were to take down her hair, then she is not getting a perm, period. But then I asked her how many of my friends who have perms have hair down to there (point to my ARSE, rather right above it) She correctly said noone. Then I asked her to tell me how many SL'd women has she seen with here down to there (pointing at the ARSe again) she appropriately stated alot. (DING, DING, DING: she gets the prize for that answer Fa sure). She then asks if I promised that her hair would grow as long as Martine's. I was happy and proud to promise her that by the time she is Jasmine's age, 14 is she just left her hair alone then it would be very, very, long. Then I washed and moisturized her hair with the sister lock conditioner and set her with the loc loops. Later on when she was done she said "I love you mommy because you teach me how to love me!" PRICELESS......
On the flip side, my childs hair is DRY! I can't use the same regimine of doing nothing on her hair like I do to mine! it looks dull and lifeless! I can't stand that. It is also smelly. I have to wash her hair weekly instead of every 2-3 like my own! I have some SL moisturizing cream which is really good on her hair. I wash it and let her sit under the dryer for 10 minutes and it looks better but her hair drives me crazy. Even though I was patient with my own, for some reason I am watching hers every second waiting for it to do something. What is up with that? I think I'm rushing her to catch up to mine but that is crazy, I locked mine a whole 1o months before hers. In any event, I can't style it for the life of me one because she really wont let me and two because well, she really won't let me. I guess the freedom of having it locked means that you can be freestyle even if your 8...........

3 comments:

BlackButterfly said...

I love to see young girls embrace their natural beauty. My daughter is 14 and I STRUGGLE to show her how beautiful she is WITHOUT a relaxer. It's been almost 2 years (relaxer free) :) and she is finally coming around. She's seeing tremendous growth in her hair (a problem we had with the relaxer) and finally believes mommy was right (aren't we always?). With all the pressures our girls see on a daily basis to fit into a mold, we have to show them that their are other ways to look and still be considered beautiful.

As far as the dryness with her hair, try Jamacian Mango & Lime Cactus Leave In Moisturizer. It literally saved my locs! My hair was really dry from coloring and after about 2 weeks of daily use, my hair was nice and soft again. If you can't find it at your local beauty supply, you can order it online, just google it.

Lakia said...

Way to go Mom! Lawd I want to lock my daughter's hair so bad. She is 8 too, she will be nine this summer. Managability will be the motivational factor for me to lock it. I am not concern with length for her because like me she will start with quite a lot of length. One day she did ask when I will undo my hair. I proudly said "never" and she was shocked. I don't think my daughter will be emotionally ready for them yet. But I will continue to encourage her to be herself and help build her self esteem.

Anonymous said...

Great answer mom!! We forget how easily we were influenced when we were kids, they're still trying to come into their own. It's awesome your daughter ended on a very understanding and self-loving note.

I have dry locks as well and I've been trying to figure out what I can use. I've finally solved my dry scalp problem and now need to work my way down. I'll also check out what Ebony suggested.